Wednesday, April 20, 2011

YOU CAN'T FOOL AN OLD LADY!


We had an unscheduled fire drill yesterday.  You know it's coming when the following happens:
          1.  The blower shuts off
          2.  A bright light flashes
          3.  A blaring, horrible sound starts...and doesn't end

As a teacher, I have to grab a back pack (it feels like 20 pounds) and head out. The big, beautiful, shiny, Lone Peak fire truck was parked on the playground, with three firemen standing in front of the truck as we passed.  
My students know to line up in numerical order at our assigned place.  Students then say their number.  If the person in front of them is not there, they say that student's name, and" absent."  After going through the line, two of my students were not there.  In our backpack, we have two big colored cards...red and green.  We hold up green if everything is ok, and red if it's not. 
As I held up my red card, and looked around...I was alone in holding up my color.  Miss Larsen came and wrote down the names of the missing kids.  The "all clear" flag was then waved.  As I passed the firemen, they complimented me on knowing that my students were missing.  I told them, "You can't fool an old lady!"  
Everyone seemed pretty pleased with the way the drill turned out.  I didn't tell them my kids were waving at my from inside the fire truck...parked straight ahead of our line!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

So funny!

xantogal said...

I'm telling!! LOL.

xantogal said...

I'm telling!! LOL. Wait, you just did! :)