Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION


When the first LDS stake was created in Utah County, it was called the
"Utah Stake."
In 1901, the stake was divided in half.  
The southern half from Provo south, became the 
"Nebo Stake."
From Orem north, it was the
"Alpine Stake."

The Alpine Stake Tabernacle construction began in 1909,
and was dedicated in 1914...100 years ago!

The last year and a half, they worked on the exterior of
the building, and getting up to "earthquake code."
They also made the parking lot bigger, and put the
handicap parking next to where you go up the stairs.

The tabernacle is so special to me.
I was baptized there, heard general authorities speak,
went to dances, and graduated from 
LDS Seminary and high school in that building. 
 Stake Conference was always held there.  When I was younger,
it was held quarterly, rather than semi-annually.
I also played the piano for probably over 100 baptisms...between
being Primary pianist, or in the Presidency.
(A little side note.  It was always a goal to graduate from high school
with honors.  The reason?  Honor students got to sit in the choir seats.
The pews, at that time, were hard.)

On October 11, they had an open house where you could tour the tabernacle.
Our stake was in charge, since the building is in our stake boundaries.
The tour started in the baptistry.
Brother and Sister Pratt, as well as the missionaries, taught here.
This is where my dad, Reid, and I were baptized.
I was baptized November 5, 1966, by my dad.
I was confirmed November 6, 1966, in the American Fork 10th Ward building.
(Currently the Northampton House.)
"Uncle Cecil" confirmed me.
 
Next, we went to the Family History Center.
This used to be a big room, where we had dances and dinners.
There was also a stage.
Bruce Frandsen taught here.


Our next stop was in the choir seats.
President Kane was our teacher.
 These are some of the large photos on display.



 First funeral



Plans for the organ


This was the Tithing Office.
I actually had my Patriarchal Blessing in this building.
The Patriarch was A.B. Allen.
He was one of my dad's high school teacher.
The date was May 4, 1974.
I was 15 1/2, and finishing my sophomore year. 



In 1971, vandals broke in, threw pews over the balcony,
and bashed the organ pipes.
My classmate, Kevin McDonald, was in the group before me.
His dad, Ward McDonald, was the caretaker.
He said they packed the dented pipes...one at a time, to Tri-City Ford.
Their men pounded out the dents! 


This is the amazing ceiling.
Each square was a "tin" square.
When they were first mounted, the squares were all different colors.
Sometime later, they were painted white.

Ceiling and balcony

View from the back

Main door



New sign

 East Entrance

West Entrance

No comments: