Tuesday, January 6, 2015

HOME SWEET HOME


Usually, your "home town" is considered to be the town that you were born in.
I consider the town that I grew up in and live in as my real "home town."

I LOVE the town I was born in!!!
ST. GEORGE, UTAH.
  I lived there through my kindergarten year 1958-1964.
I also went back to attend Dixie Jr. College 1976-1978.
I received my Associate of Arts degree there...and met some of my best friends there.

But, the town that I refer to as my "home town" is
AMERICAN FORK, UTAH.
I have lived here from 1964-1976.
Summers of 1977, 1978, 1979.
And 1979-today.
(Except, I do feel that I lived in Alpine for 33 years, while teaching!)
I did my sophomore college English research paper on American Fork.
I also have both the Early and Modern years of American Fork books.
(The early years book was written by Renae's grandfather...George F. Shelley.)
It was a great place to grow up!!!

There is a Facebook page called
"You Know You're From American Fork."
Recently, there have been several pictures posted to this page of the "old AF days."
I want to remember these years and activities . . . therefore, this post.
So, here are several pics (in no particular order)


"The Hummels" from Utah Pageant of the Arts"

The tearing down of Geneva Steel

Old Conoco station (can't remember where)

Across Main Street from current Doug Smith Auto.
We used to line up for the morning Steel Days Parade here.

 Hi Spot Drive Inn
THE hang out of the 60's!
Blockbuster Video was there for years.
Now, A "Utah Run" store

Timp Cave building

Decorating Main Street for Christmas 
(Briggs Drug and Bakery in background)

The "Pied Piper" at Fantasyland
at the State Training School
(now known as the Devel0pmental Center) 

Main Street in 40s?
Showing Bank of American Fork and Chipman's

American Fork Band by Smith Rexall Drug

We always got one of these in the paper to hang up.
It told us what was playing at the local theater.
(Mom would give Reid $1.  We each got in (35 cents)
and could get popcorn (5 cents) and a candy (10 cents)

Ariel view of Training School
(west of Mt. Timpanogos Temple)

Merry-go-round at Fantasyland at the Training School

The 3rd Ward Church
I went here from 1st grade to 9th grade.  We were in the 10th Ward.
My dad went here growing up, 3rd Ward.
Today, it is the "Northhampton House" reception center. 
(The stairs are gone.  That door is a window, and a little balcony was made.)

  

Everyone learned to play the piano in this book!



Christmas at Mary Pulley's!
Mary Pulley began this tradition during World War II.
She wanted to have a gift for the soldiers on Christmas leave.
She had this Santa, a manger scene, and lights on her HUGE trees!
Music played until 10:00 each night through a speaker.
Dad, Reid, and Chris helped keep the decorations going.
Santa passed out candy canes to each (hundreds) of the cars that came
by the first Saturday of December.
Everyone in the community knew where Mary Pulley lived, and
"Mary Pulley's Hill."
(Hill south of Timp Temple...900 East.  Now called "Mary Pulley Drive."
When she died (month of June), she requested that "Silent Night" be
the closing song...and "Mary Pulley Christmas" would be no more.

These pictures were from 1958.
My first Christmas at 2 months old.
A winter kind of like this year!





American Fork Hospital.  
I was a Candystriper here.
It is now a Nursing Home.  Those tiny trees are now HUMONGOUS!!!

American Fork 4th Ward

The 4th Ward Church burning down in June, 1975.
This church (which has been rebuilt)
is on 300 North, on the way to AF High.
I went to the high school that day, to go to the Lehi Parade
with the band.
When we drove past, the fire was just starting.
 

Top key was for ignition.
Round key for trunk.

Two lane highway to AF Canyon.
Today, it's a HUGE 4 lane highway, and called
Timpanogos Highway.

AF Boat Harbor.
You did not pass anything on the way to the harbor.
Today, there are many houses and a church.
There are 3 "Harbor Wards" there, which are a part of my stake.

My favorite mountain . . . Timpanogos.

 "The Cameo" was the name of the "show house" before "The Coral"
Today, the theater was cut in half, to make 2 theaters.
It is called "Towne Cinema."
Nicknames are "The Sticky Shoe" and "The Dollar Dump."

Chipman Star Roller Mills

This was my junior high seminary building.
It's been a preschool, and now, is some kind of church.
Bottom of current Rec Center.
(You can see top of jr high in back)


Reams
Still standing on east state street.  Next to the Tessoro

Arctic Circle...before it became Parker's Drive-Inn.


 Parker Drive-Inn
Empty

 Main Street...probably 1950s.
The light is at Center Street, by Chipman's
(now Bank of AF drive through)
The street light in background was at 100 West.
We turned there to go to the Shop.
They took it out.


AF Band with Jill Whaley on baton.


Harrington Elementary
Dad went here.
I went to 1st and 2nd grades here.
Reid went to 3rd grade here.
(Sooo many 2nd graders.  Bus students kept on bus, and 
sent to Greenwood.  That's where Reid went for 2nd grade.)

Dad went to high school here.
Reid and I went to junior high here.
It was torn down, and is the current AF Rec Center.

Another view
 


 Taken from Center Street.
Love how you can see Devey's, Briggs Drugs, Taylor Drug, 
Bank of American Fork, and Utah Power and Light!
Henny Penny Chicken
Located west of Walker's in AF
Next one where Burger King is



Corner of shop.
Torn down.
Then, 7-11
Now, Papa John's Pizza

Tote Gote
We had one just like this, then a blue one


Before the carnival was in Robinson Park, it was on Center Street

The 6:00 p.m. parade started here.
Still standing, but empty 

First, it was Grand Central
Then, Fred Meyer
Then, WalMart
Then a craft store and now, a suntanning place 



1909 Postcard


Though not located in American Fork, these were also unique to American Fork.

"Pioneer Drive-In"
This Drive-In movie theater was located between Provo and Springville.
These were the BEST!  You are able to sit in your car, put speakers in, and enjoy
a movie from this convenience.  Many families would bring their kids
in their pajamas.  Also, pick-up trucks would back in, and people would
sit in the back of the truck.
In American Fork, our drive in was located at where 
Gene Harvey Chevrolet is located.
My last drive-in experience was when the kids were young, probably
McKay was the youngest.


Saratoga was located west of Lehi.
We would go there a few times.
They had carnival rides, and these wonderful pools!
We went here for 9th grade day, then Lagoon for 
Senior Sluff Day.
I went with Conrad at the end of his summer orchestra parties.
When I was in the Stake Young Women, and camp was moved to
Willow Park (bears in AF Canyon), I took all the 1st year girls and
leaders for their hike (well, walk).  
We walked from Willow Park to Saratoga.  We sat on the grass
by the lake, with this pool to our right.
This is where we did all of our soloing experiences.
Today, it's gone.
The community of Saratoga Springs was started in 2000.
Today, in 2015...there are 5 elementary schools, 1 middle school,
1 high school, Chris and family, and Ashley and family.



One of Reid's classmates found this magazine at her mother's house.
I totally remember having this!!!
It must have been sent to each household.
It would have been in the early '70s, because of the
picture on the cover of the "Junior Patriots."

AMERICAN FORK, UTAH
LIVING AT IT'S BEST 


 Top pictures are "Fantasyland" at the Training School.




Bottom left . . . Library
Top middle . . . Post Office 





















3 comments:

David van Dijk said...

Holy smokes! What a trip down memory lane! I was born and raised in AF and these are the best pictures I could find of ol AF when I was a child. THANKS ANN!

MarNae said...

I just happened upon this blog and in the pictures are the hummel's. I was one of the girls on the merry go round and the picture of the Henny Penny is my dad who owned it. I am so happy to find these pictures. Thank you. for posting.

MarNae said...

I was so surprised and happy to view this blog. I was one of those girls on that Hummel merry-go-round. You also have a picture of my dad from the Henny Penny. He was the owner. thank you so much for posting these pictures among many others. They were fun to see.!