Friday, August 14, 2015

DEJA VÚ . . . 1980


Today would have been the start to my 36th school year! My plan was to teach 38 years (same number of years my mom taught), then retire at age 59. That way, after 6 years health insurance, it would be Medicare time. **gasp**

But, everything works out the way it should! Spending my time as Stake Relief Society Secretary, president-elect in Utah of my teacher sorority, board member of Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge. I do what I want, when I want! My favorite part of retirement is being a "Stay At Home Aunt" to my 14 1/2 great nieces and nephews!

This is my first class...1980. I had just graduated from BYU a month ago, and was sooooo excited to be a teacher!!!  I was a young (21...22 the next month), happening chick...and then, I thought retirement was over 40 years away!!!  So today, I slept in (in honor of not working...and Renae went to Price, or I would have gone swimming), I blogged, worked on who gets what Jazz game, Provo Temple, and the wedding reception of a former student, Corbin Wright...Class of 2004.

Look closely.  Every boy on the front row has grass stains on his pants!!!  The good old days!!!

Front row:  Brian Page, principal   Alan Peck  Dori Ann Larkin   Heather Villareal   
Andy Sparks   
Greg Webb   Patti Christiansen   Danny Broadbent   Me

Row 2:  Chip Mattfeldt   Marcie Quintana   Marin Compton   Justin Williams   Lisa Erickson   Bob Burnham   Lisa Sumens

Row 3:  Sefanie Leseberg   Shawn Parker   Matt Wimmer   Raychel Vickers   
David Lawrence   Lynda Johnson   Ryan Barnes

Row 4:  Leanne Murdock   Mary Southey   Lorilee Jones   Bruce Shurtz
Jennifer Cottrell   Trent Powell   Kim Kofford   Paulla Bateman


Teaching was such a rewarding profession!
But, the longer I taught, the more that was required.
And as I found out, teaching did not take place only from 8:00 - 3:30!


No comments: