Thursday, March 12, 2009
THIRTEEN FACTS ABOUT FRIDAY THE 13TH
If you fear Friday the 13th, then pull out your umbrellas. This week's unlucky day is the second of three this year. The first was in February,and the next one will be in November. This triple whammy comes around only every 11 years.
Here ARE 13 MORE FACTS:
1. The British Navy built a ship named Friday the 13th. On its maiden voyage, the vessel left dock on a Friday the 13th, and was never heard from again
2. The ill-fated Apollo 13 launched at 13:13 CST on April 11, 1970 The sum of the date's digits (4/11/70 is 13)
3. Many hospitals have no room 13, while some tall buildings skip the 13th floor
4. Fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia
5. Quarterback Dan Marino wore No.13 throughout his career with the Miami Dolphins. Despite being a superb quarterback he got to the Super Bowl just once, and was trounced 38-16 by the San Francisco 49ers and Joe Montana (who wore #16) won all four Super Bowls he played in.
6. Butch Cassidy, notorious American train and bank robber, was born on Friday, April 13, 1866.
7. Fidel Castro was born on Friday, Aug 13, 1926.
8. President Franklin D. Roosevelt would not travel on the 13th day of any month and would never host 12 guests at a meal.
9. Superstitious diners in Paris can hire a professional 14th guest.
10. Mark Twain once was the 13th guest at a dinner party. "It was bad luck," Twain later reported. "They only had food for 12."
11. Woodrow Wilson considered 13 his lucky number. He arrived in Normandy, France on Friday, Dec 13, 1918, for peace talks, only to return with a treaty he couldn't get Congress to sign.
12. The number 13 suffers from its position after 12. 12 months in a year, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 gods of Olympus, etc.
13. The seals on the back of a dollar bill include 13 steps on the pyramid, 13 stars above the eagle's head 13 war arrows in the eagle's claw and 13 leaves on the olive branch. So far there's been no evidence typing these long-ago design decisions to the present economic situation.