Thursday, July 16, 2015

THE GOOD OL' DAYS


 For my first 17 or 18 years, teachers had absolutely no help with supplies!
If you didn't order it from the district catalogue, as part of the money
for per pupil expenditures, it ALL came out of the teacher's pocket!
ALL OF IT!!!

 In the early 90's, WalMart started to help us poor teachers out!
Many school supplies were slashed DRASTICALLY!!!

I decided to provide each of my students with 2 of the "1 Subject notebooks."
One for math, and the other for language.
It was the BEST!
Kids couldn't say they "lost, or can't find their assignment."
They were always in the notebook!
And these notebooks were CHEAP . . . $.08!
There was one BIG exception.
You could only purchase 6.

Well, I figured a way around it.
I loaded up Chris, Camille, Ashley, McKay, Heidi, and Katie
into my little blue Cavalier.
Each was given exact change for two trips to buy notebooks
(but only one trip to WalMart)
AND, BOY...DID THEY HAVE THE PROCESS DOWN!!!

Each had to pick out 6 different colors, and go through a check out stand.
They went to my car, where they opened the trunk from inside the car,
and placed them in the trunk.
Then, back for round #2, but a check out stand at the opposite end.
6 kids x 6 notebooks . . .  x 2 trips = 72 notebooks!
Enough for each of my students to have 2, and my own kiddos to have 3 or 4.

After 3 or 4 years of this, WalMart changed their policy, and
I could get as many as I wanted.
We were also given a little "legislative money" and it didn't hurt
my wallet as much.



I took this picture at WalMart the other day.
Three years ago at the start of my last year
(I didn't know it then),
the cost was $.10 a notebook.
Now (bottom row), it's $.17!

When I saw all of the school supplies, I didn't miss it!
Not one bit!!!
 I was a little nostalgic about my notebook shopping, and
the great fun we had!!! 

Awwww...good times!!!

No comments: