Saturday, November 3, 2018

THAT EXTRA HOUR


We dealt with this in March
for Mountain Standard Time.

Mountain Standard Time 
vs
Daylight Savings Time

Which is your favorite???

I love Daylight Savings Time!
I love, love, love having it be lighter in the evening!
But, I don't like losing the "hour of sleep".

Mountain Standard Time???
I love having that extra hour back!
I don't like it being dark so early at night!

Daylight Savings Time has been around a little over
100 years.
It was created to save energy, and make
better use of daylight hours.

Only 2 states, Arizona and Hawaii,
and the US Territories,
do not observe Daylight Savings Time.
All get plenty of sun, being closer to the equator.
Only the Navajo Nation in Arizona observe
Daylight Savings Time.

When I was growing up, the time changes were always
the same.  
The beginning of April & October.
(This was great with the LDS General Conference
at the same time.)

In January of 1974, President Nixon put into place
an Emergency Daylight Savings Time.
This lasted from January 6, 1974 - April 27, 1975.
I'll never forget sitting in my 1st period class (Spanish)
as a high school sophomore, looking out the window
at a full moon at "dawn" . . . 8:30 a.m.

Later, it was changed to the beginning of April and
the end of October.
I really like this!!!
My birthday is October 26.
My niece, Heidi, is October 25.
When we had a birthday on a Saturday, we moved
the clocks back before we went to bed.
Extra hour of birthday!
When the birthday was Sunday, that's when the
time really changes.
Extra hour of birthday!

Now, the time changes at the beginning of March,
and the Sunday after Halloween.
(To help the trick-or-treaters, I guess)

Ways to remember which direction the time goes:

And . . . that great song by Cher:



Mountain Standard Time 
is going quite well.

No comments: