Tuesday, December 18, 2018

THE BOOK OF MORMON CHALLENGE

The prophet of my Church,
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,
President Russell M. Nelson
(he did my dad's open heart surgery in 1979),
gave the women of the Church a challenge.
To read the Book of Mormon by the end of 2018.
The challenge?
He gave this at the Women's Conference on October 6!

Of course, a chart breaking down the Book of Mormon
so you could see how much you needed to read each day
to finish by the end of the year, magically appeared on social media.
I had to have it!  

I kept track of my daily reading.  I used a color pen every
time that I finished a square.
I put the date when I finished a row, and a date in the box
when I finished a "book" of the Book of Mormon,
along with a temple sticker.

Here is my breakdown by rows, and books.
Row 1:  October 7 - October 11
Row 2:  October 11 - October 15
Row 3:  October 16 - October 18
Row 4:  October 18 - October 24
Row 5:  October 24 - October 29
Row 6:  October 30 - November 6
Row 7:  November 7 - November 18
Row 8:  November 19 - November 27
Row 9:  November 28 - December 6
Row 10:  December 7 - December 12
Row 11:  December 13 - December 15
Row 12:  December 15 - December 17 + 1

My longest row was Row 7 . . . 11 days:  November 7 - November 18  
(Alma 22 - Alma 41)

Books in the Book of Mormon
1 Nephi:  October 7 - October 11
2 Nephi:  October 11 - October 17
Jacob:  October 17 - October 20
Enos:  October 20
Jarom:  October 20
Omni:  October 20
Words of Mormon:  October 20
Mosiah:  October 20 - October 28
Alma:  October 29 - December 2
Helaman:  December 2 - 10
3 Nephi:  December 10 - December 13
4 Nephi:  December 13
Mormon:  December 13 - December 15
Ether:  December 16 - December 17
Moroni:  December 17

I finished 6 books in one day each:  Enos, Jarom, Omni.
Words of Mormon, 4 Nephi, and Moroni
The longest book?  Alma: 35 days (63 chapters)

Here's my chart:

I read all of the Book of Mormon on my phone.
About 1/3 of it was read with the audio on the phone.
(It's nice to hear how some words and names are REALLY pronounced!)

The last time I read it on a timeline, was a challenge from
2 prophets ago . . . President Gordon B. Hinckley.
It was from August 1 - December 31, 2 months longer than this one.

The shortest time I read the Book of Mormon was 24 hours.
I was a junior in high school.  
Our Seminary had a Book of Mormon read.a.thon.
We started Friday afternoon at 4:00 and finished
Saturday afternoon at 4:00.  
They played the tape on the building speakers.
They also supplied us with dinner, breakfast, lunch, and snacks.

It was hard, and I'm pretty sure that I slept through some of it.

No comments: