Friday, September 4, 2015

50 YEARS . . . AND STILL GOING STRONG


I met my best friend, Renae Allen, when we were 6 years old.
I had just moved to American Fork from St. George.
My dad knew Renae's dad from working in the cave.
We were in the same ward.
We were also in the same dance class at Greenwood Elementary,
the school where Renae's dad was principal.
We then went from Greenwood to Mrs. Earl's class for dance.
(Later on, we had the same piano teacher.)

I wasn't in her 1st grade class...but from 2nd grade on,
we were in the same class.
In 2nd grade, Renae gave me a GIANT candy cane for Christmas!
I was soooo excited!  I had never had any kind of gift from someone
who wasn't a relative!

We were also in the same ward.
The American Fork 10th Ward.
That meant Primary, Mutual, and Camp together.
She was such a good friend...that when I missed our first
year of camp by going to Wisconsin with Uncle Bruce's family,
she didn't go either. She did this so that the next year, we'd be
the same year at camp!

Renae's life changed forever our sophomore year in high school!
We were both in the same Geometry class.
Of course, the teacher made us sit in alphabetical order.
I had no chance of sitting by Renae Allen!
I was in front of Robert Reese.
Also by Lori Hilginberg and Bill Strong.
After the first semester, Mr. McMaster said we could sit
where we wanted.
She wanted me up front by her.
I made her come back by us, cuz we were having too much fun!
And . . . the rest is history!
Renae & Rob were married on August 17, 1979, in the
Salt Lake Temple.
My first of 3 matches!

After our sophomore year in high school, we went to
Acapulco, Taxco, and Mexico City with Mr. Reid.
I had her brother, Jay, as my biology teacher.

We parted ways for college.
I went to Dixie, then BYU.
Renae went to Weber State, then Utah State.
We wrote letters the whole time, and got together on breaks.

After her marriage, her only child, Jared, was born.
He has always been a part of my life.

Renae taught kindergarten.
I taught 5th grade.
She was at Northridge in Orem, 
and Rocky Mountain in Lindon.
I was in Alpine.
We went to UEA together for YEARS!!!
She helped me mend my broken heart.

We go to the temple together.
We even took a road trip to go to the Las Vegas
and St. George Temples together!
In 2011-2012 we went to California to Disneyland, 
Band Fest, Beverly Hills, Rose Parade floats, and the
Rose Parade.

We've helped each other when we've been up.
We've helped each other when we've been down.

We were even in the Stake Young Women leadership together,
along with our friend, Lynnell!

When I retired, and couldn't drive,
my mom drove me to the pool every morning at 7:00 a.m.
Renae punched in our numbers, and was waiting
at the door, so I didn't have to go far.
Then, she took me home.
She also took me once to the temple when
I needed a wheel chair.

We've walked together alot, 
and now we swim together.
We've taken care of the money for the
Steel Days Art Show for 15 years.

Don't know what I'd do without this
best friend of mine!

BFFs SINCE 1964!







No comments: