Wednesday, May 30, 2018

FIVE YEARS IN THE BOOK


May 30, 2013 - May 30, 2018

Five years of retirement in the books!!!

Retirement is the BEST!!!
When my foot doctor said that I needed to retire,
if I could afford it, I started the process.
I was diagnosed March 20, 2013 with charcot foot.
A dozen broken bones in the foot.

When I met with the district on April 15, I had
already made my decision to retire.
Very few at Alpine Elementary knew.
The AEA president told me before I met with
the district to not sign anything.
Just bring the paper work and let the AEA board review it.
I guess that's a privilege for having been the
school rep for 1/4 of a century!!!
The board looked it over, and said,
"Happy Retirement!"
(2018 would have been my last year)
I did not tell my principal or have her sign
the paperwork until the day after Memorial Day.
Needless to say, she was SHOCKED!
I had a foot dr appointment the Friday before.
I wanted to leave the door open . . . just in case.

When my great nephew, Preston, was going
to sing the national anthem at preschool graduation
that year (he'll be in 5th grade next year),
I was determined to never miss family fun stuff again!

I missed all of my 6 nieces and nephews activities!
I only got to 2 science fairs, because they were at night!
I went to only 3 full high school graduations.
(You couldn't attend during a school day without
a full dock.  Besides, the superintendent wouldn't
grant it, because they were not my children.)
I made it to one graduation when they were
starting to read the names.  
Another one, I met everyone after at the
Brick Oven.  They had ordered for me,
and as soon as I sat down, my order came.
That was fabulous, but I still missed her in her cap and gown!
(I did get to dance recitals and games that were on
Saturdays, night, of summer)

So, what have I been up to in 5 years???
I've added 3 great nieces and 2 great nephews (from 11 to 16)
Youngest niece, Katie, married C.J.
2 baptisms (2 more coming soon)
Stake Relief Society Presidency . . . 4 years
(Besides everything that included, I spoke in 10 wards in
Sacrament Meeting, including the Spanish Ward, where I
didn't have a copy of my talk for the interpreter . . . bleh)
President for Utah of Alpha Delta Kappa . . . teacher sorority
for outstanding women educators
In charge of 1 state conference and 1 state convention for ADK
Attended ADK International convention in New Orleans
(going to Anchorage in 2 months for regional conference)
Appointments at 8:00 a.m. instead of 4:30 p.m.
Mid morning swimming
1 high school class reunion
Not getting up at 4:30 a.m.  aka . . . sleeping in
Temple attendance and temple road trips during the day
9 dance festivals (one school covered 5 kids, another 3)
2 World Fairs
3 6th grade graduations
5 preschool graduations
1 kindergarten graduation
12 Christmas Sings
Interviewed over 300 high school juniors to attend
the Leadership Academy at Valley Forge
4 luncheons for the high school junior scholarship winners
Visiting all great nieces and nephews classes in
preschool and elementary and making a donation to their teacher
2 "Utah" programs
Watching CJ playing in the NBA
Science Fair Judging:  2 elementary, 1 jr high, 1 district
4 Tulip Festivals
4 Museum of Natural Curiosity
1 Museum of Ancient Life
4 trips to St. George
1 trip to Cedar City
58 Alpine Elementary Retired Teachers' Lunches
And, of course, attending basketball games, football games,
soccer games, clogging, choir concerts, piano recital,
dance recitals during evenings, summer or Saturdays.

I always thought that when I retired, I would visit
at Alpine Elementary a lot.
I went to 2 3rd grade Christmas programs, the
50 year anniversary of the school being at the current location
(my classmates were in 2nd grade during the move)
Judged 2 Science Fairs, took up retirement announcements,
and did my Christmas shopping at the 
"Buy One Get One Free" book fair.
And, that's it.

(I've also dealt with a partially torn achilles tendon,
2 ulcers on foot, cutting thumb and getting stitches, broken toe
and of course, the charcot foot.)

I have loved, loved, loved my 33 years of teaching at
Alpine Elementary, and all the fabulous students, parents 
and faculty that have come in my life!
It truly is the best place to teach!!!

I am really enjoying my time as a 
Stay At Home Aunt!

All 6 nieces and nephews and their spouses with my mom.

All 16 great nieces and nephews, 11 girls and 5 boys,
ages 17 1/2 - 2
(Plus Heidi holding Jacob)

No comments: