Friday, November 13, 2015

GOODBYE MY CHILDHOOD HERO


"Uncle Cecil" was my childhood hero.
He was my grandpa's cousin on my dad's side.
I was related to his wife, "Aunt Nina" the same way.
She was my grandma's cousin on my mom's side.

From 1st-3rd grades, we stayed at their home before and after school. 
He was my elementary principal.
He confirmed me.
He was my district supervisor when I began to teach school.
He was the most excited when I told him I was going to the temple.

So happy he is reunited with Aunt Nina! 


Cecil Ray Hansen


1921 - 2015 Obituary Condolences Gallery
Cecil Ray Hansen Obituary
1921 ~ 2015
Cecil Ray Hansen, 94, of American Fork passed away peacefully October 31, 2015 at his home surrounded by his family.
Born March 7, 1921 in American Fork, Utah the son of William Reese and Rose Bell Wilcox Hansen. He married Nina Elizabeth Sykes December 21, 1942 in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. She preceded him in death on October 26, 2008. He then married Cherie Marie Parkins September 14, 2012 in American Fork. They were later sealed in the Mount Timpanogos Temple.
Dad served in World War II in the Army Air Corps starting in October 1942, flying supplies over The Hump in Burma, India and China Theater.
After the war ended he attended the University of Utah graduating in Finance and banking. He worked for the Federal Reserve Bank while attending school and fully expected that to be his career. However, his career abruptly changed directions, and he began teaching school at Harrington Elementary in 1947. His teaching also took him back to school later earning master's and doctorate degrees in education from BYU. He loved his profession as a teacher, and principal and later as an administrator for Alpine School District. He never lost his love for children throughout his life.
Dad also served in the church in probably every calling possible including as a bishop, and in the stake presidency. He also served a mission with Nina to the Florida Tallahassee Mission. In 1976 he was ordained to be a patriarch by Elder Boyd K. Packer. He gave blessings for over 30 years and touched many lives.
He was a wonderful, caring giving father, grandfather, great grandfather, uncle, brother and son. To his last breath he was full of gratitude and never complained. His words to everyone were always, "Make it a good day!"
Survivors include: his wife Cherie; Children: Leila (John) Gardiner; Elizabeth (D. Kim) Hansen; James (Pennie) Hansen; Jorge (MaryKate) Suxo-Sanchez; Step-Children: Katie (Luke) Fowkes; John Story; Michael Parkins; Daniel Parkins; Joseph Parkins; Mary Ann (Adam) Leavitt; 24 grandchildren; and 50 great grandchildren. He is preceded in death by his parents, his wife Nina, daughter Kathy Lynn, a grandson, Sisters Myrl Stubbs, Della Spafford, and his brother William Reese Jr.
Funeral services will be held Thursday November 5, 2015 at 11:00 a.m. in the American Fork West Stake Center (500 North 700 West). A viewing will be held Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Anderson & Sons Mortuary, 49 East 100 North Am. Fork and Thursday from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m. at the church prior to the services. Burial in the American Fork Cemetery. Please share a memory or condolence at andersonmortuary.com






I saw my 5th grade teacher at the funeral...Mr. Brady.  I thought he was
 in his 60's when he taught me over 45 years ago...but, apparently not. 
The funeral was for my relative/neighbor/elementary principal. So, he taught under him. 
I told my teacher I had taught 5th grade...and only 5th grade...for 33 years in Alpine.
 I told him my 5th grade experience was the reason I wanted to teach 5th grade! 
I also told him I had taught with Calvan Vance for 17 years (they taught together at Harrington)
 I could tell he had no idea who I was!  Then I told him my brother was Reid. 
Well, he certainly knew him! Asked all kinds of questions about him! I should have
 started with that. Or else that I was Renae Allen's friend! (Same results).

No comments: