Sunday, November 19, 2017

CEDAR CITY TEMPLE


I thought it would be fun to go to the
Cedar City Temple
Open House for my birthday.
Cedar City is about 45 minutes north
of St. George . . . the town I was born in,
and lived until I was 6.  Also, went to
Jr. College there.

I sent a message to former roommate, Sara,
if she'd like to come up for it.
She wanted to get all of our roommates
together (Pam couldn't make it.)

The problem?
The dates weren't very long.
We had to work around my BYU football
and Utah Jazz games, mom's surgery,
my responsibilities as Utah ADK President,
and birthdays.
I was able to come up with the
dates, November 15-17.
(The 15th was Ally & Brooky's bday, and
the 17th was Mark's.  But, we had celebrated
on the Sunday before.)

Mom and I drove down.
We first met at the
Brick House for lunch.

Clockwise, left to right:  Maria (Sara's neighbor, and a nonmember),
Sara Deaver, Kathleen Salazar, Karen Esplin, me, and mom


 I think the temple looks a little bit like
a smaller version of the St. George Temple
(pic from internet)

Karen, Kathleen, Mom, Me, Sara

Outside of the temple.
It was sooooo windy!

The temple at sunset
(pic from internet)

Mom and I decided to go to St. George
for 2 nights and 3 days.
This is LoyAnn McArthur McClendon.
My mom taught her in the 1st & 2nd grades in 
the early 60's!
This is her first year of retirement as a teacher.
She told us about her experience in
St. Thomas during the hurricane!

 St. George Temple



Oh, the flowers!!!
I wish I had driven by at night for pictures!





 We went to the St. George Temple and did a session.
We hadn't been there since August 2016, when
Kathleen received her endowments.

We ate lunch at the temple.
I saw Jewel Walters!
We were in junior high - high school together.
She also was a para educator at Alpine Elementary.
Her husband, Clive, grew up in my ward.
Their kids went to Alpine Elementary, and
Jessica was my aide one year.
They moved to St. George.

We also went shopping while we were there.
We got mom a new purse, garments, 
and some clothes at Dress Barn.
I got mom's Christmas while there...gift card for Dress Barn.

After shopping at Dress Barn, we hit the road.
The weather was fine, until we hit Beaver.
From Beaver to Fillmore, it was a downpour, then
snow.  Lots of it.  We were surrounded
by people that didn't know how to drive in it!
Cars were backwards, off the road, etc.
Some drivers think the speed limit signs
are for all the time!!!
The traffic going southbound was at a standstill.

Other than stretch of traffic, 
fabulous road trip!!!

No comments: