Friday, April 24, 2015

OUR "D" ON THE HILLSIDE SO BOLD . . .


. . . cherished emblem of them all.
Great words from the Dixie College school song.
 April 18, 2015, marked the 100th anniversary
of whitewashing the "D" in St. George!
St. George.  The town I was born in.
The town of my youngest childhood...through kindergarten.

Dixie State University.
Formerly known as
Dixie State College
Dixie Jr. College (when I attended)
Dixie College
Dixie Academy

Founded in 1911.
In 1915, they created the "D" on the Black Hill.



On the "Sugar Loaf" on the Red Cliffs, is this:


Apparently, there were huge fights between the high school and college.
The high school would paint their "year" by the "Dixie," with DHS.
Then the college would do the same.
When the "D" was constructed, it was determined that the
high school would take care of the "Dixie" and the college the "D."

This event grew into "D Week."
Lots of activities, parades, breakfasts, dances,
and of course,
whitewashing the "D."

Whitewashing when I was living in St. George.

Here's my school with the "houseless" hill.




Nothing had changed about that hill.
For decades.
I was there in 1979 for Karen's wedding, and passing through
for Sara's.
It was sill the same as when I left in 1978.
Then, the first (of 8) time I went to California with Conrad,
the hill had change.
They were building homes on it!
How dare they!!!



The Whitewashing



WOW!  The throwing of the lime!
Happened to me my Freshman year.
It burned me.  Bad.
I had to go to the doctors.
The burns were really bad around where my bra was.
I missed a week of school.
I also experienced my first ever priesthood blessing.
I'd never heard of them before.
Blessing given by Mike Woodward...counselor in my branch presidency
and also my debate coach.
I still have the scars today.




It's all about the view!




The big building on Tabernacle...that's where the West Elementary
playground used to be.  The school sat where the parking lot is.
One block east...was our first home in St. George.
It's not there any more, either.

The temple.
It used to be at the very end of town.  
Now, practically the center!

This doesn't have anything to do with the "D", but Dixie.
These are the presidents of Dixie since 1911.
The first man on the 3rd row is Arthur F. Bruhn.
He was president when dad taught at the college.
He lived across the street from us.
The 3rd man on that same row is Rolfe Kerr.
He was president when I was a student.

No comments: