Tuesday, April 21, 2015

WEST ELEMENTARY


I attended West Elementary in St. George, Utah for one year...kindergarten.
It was 2 or 3 blocks west of our home.  Our address was 
25 North 100 West.
(Easy to remember...because the shop address is 50 North 100 West)
I loved going to school there!
The biggest reason I loved it, is because my mom 
taught 2nd grade at the same school!!!
The 2 things that I remember the most about her teaching there was:
1.  I had a horrible kindergarten picture. It was retaken with my
mom's class.  Much better!
2.  We saw the movie "Pollyanna" as a school.  
Yup.  That Pollyanna.  With Hayley Mills.
Because kindergarten was half day, I only got to see part
of the movie.  I got to watch the rest of the movie with my mom's class!


"Our D on the hillside so bold, cherished emblem of them all!"
This was the view of the Black Hill from our school, before homes
were built on it.


My mom's classroom was on the left.
It was facing Tabernacle Street.


This was the back of the school where we lined up.  Each classroom in the back had it's own door.  Every Friday, we walked across a little bridge, with a nickel, to get an ice cream cone at the Dairy Queen!



This is how the playground looked when I was there!




The big trees were in front of the classrooms on the Tabernacle side.

And now, this is my school.
The gorgeous trees are still there.




And here's the wonderful playground:


My mom had a student at West Elementary named 
LoyAnn McArthur.  She adored my mom!!!
She would stop now and then in American Fork to visit.
She became a teacher because of my mom's influence.
She also was a member of the short-lived ADK chapter in St. George.
I found her on Facebook and friended her.  Then friended her to my mom.
Then, many others started requesting to be my mom's friend, and
they were reminiscing about their great 2nd grade class!!!

Aunt Pat made mom a scrapbook with all of her class pictures.
I took pictures of the class photos from West Elementary.
they were always taken in the classroom, not on the stage steps.
Some had just my mom.  Then the principal, Mr. Frei, was in others with them.



I loved my mom's wooden numbers!!!
Notice President John F. Kennedy hanging up!

 When my mom retired, I took the Washington and Lincoln that
she has hanging in this picture!
(Allen Feller is the 6th boy in on middle row.  He was 
LDSSA president my Freshman year, and 
Studentbody President my Sophomore year.)


And then, this message was sent to me on Facebook:


  • Conversation started April 10
  • K'Lynn Wood
    K'Lynn Wood

    Are you really my 2nd grade teacher from St George 's daughter!?!!? No wonder you were such a good teacher! That is so amazing. Please give your mother a hug for me. K'Lynn Avery ,now Wood.
  • Ann Mitchell
    Ann Mitchell

    Holy Cow!!! We lived in St George through my kindergarten year. My dad taught at the college when it was downtown. The seniors and juniors in high school were with freshmen and sophomores in college. My dad taught Elder Holland in high school and college! When they moved to new campus, my dad was low in seniority, and was asked to teach high school. He wanted college. So we moved to his hometown, AF. My mom tried to get hired in Alpine, Nebo, and Provo districts. They only hired brand new teachers. They were all putting husbands through BYU, then quit. Saves $. She went to Jordan District for an application, and was hired on the spot! They wanted experience! She taught 38 years total! I went to Dixie...1976-1978. Associate of Arts. My roommate married Dale Esplin! Can't believe what a small world!!! I'll friend you to her on FB! She turned 80 last month!


  • I taught K'Lynn's children, Tyler and Melody!
    When Tyler was in my class, Melody was in kindergarten.
    Melody came down to my room when kindergarten was over.
    When I started to get my class ready for lunch, Tyler would leave
    to walk Melody home, and eat lunch.
    Really nice kids!!!
    According to Facebook, both went to BYU.
    Tyler served a mission.  Melody spent some time in England.
    Not sure what they're up to now.
    I need to find out!

    K'Lynn's class picture.
    She was sooo easy to pick out!  Tall, and looks so much like her kids,
    especially Melody!

    Next to my mom.

    By Mr. Frei
    Notice the "Mrs. Mitchell" above Mr. Frei's head.
    It was burned on wood. 
    She always had it in whatever classroom she taught in.
    When I began teaching, I asked Jack Brown, a 6th grade teacher
    at my school who did woodworking, to make me a "Miss Mitchell."
    Now, it hangs on my teacher wall.

    K'Lynn now.


    Tyler


    Melody



    No comments: