Saturday, October 6, 2018

OH, THAT ONE WAGON WHEEL GAME

What's a "Wagon Wheel?"
It's the prize for the winner of the
BYU-Utah State game each year.
It represents the Pioneers crossing the
plains between 1847 and the 1880's.
This game is always played the Friday
before LDS General Conference.

It was a HORRIBLE game!
We couldn't even win the coin toss!

Here are all the highlight of the game:

I love the location of LaVell Edwards Stadium!


The "Y" on the mountain was lit up.


Cosmo danced with the Cougarettes, and didn't
lose his head like the last game:

https://www.facebook.com/BYUCOSMO/videos/310001513128753/

I took my oldest great niece, Courtney, to the game.
She turned 18 last week, and is a Senior at Westlake High,
the largest high school in the state!
(Looking forward to graduation, and the reading of the names! Bleh.)
Her dad, Chris, is my oldest nephew.  He was in
junior high when I first became a season ticket holder.
We went to TONS of games together!
He had gone hunting with his 8 year old boy.
His wife and 13 year old girl went to the Jazz game
with my tickets.

Also, another big highlight . . . Courtney and I got my mom's
"Trick or Treat" for her entire posterity . . . 32 people, completed.
Each person receives a baggie with a toothbrush, 
toothbrush holder, and toothpaste.
Courtney also wrote everyone's name on the baggie.

Camry at the Jazz game



My roommate from Dixie Jr College, her daughter, Tara,
found me.  Tara and her husband, Wayne, came up from St. George
for the game!  He is a football coach at Dixie High School.
They have 6 children, including twin boys.

It seems like yesterday that I went to St. George for
their wedding!
It was the day of a BYU-Utah football game at BYU.
I chose the wedding and trip.
I can count on one hand the number of times
I have seen BYU beat Utah in Provo in the
last 26 years!!!
And . . . BYU lost.



This was the biggest highlight of the game!
David Barlow is in that wacky Utah State hoodie.
I taught him my second year of teaching!
1981-1982.
That was the year I had 20 boys and 8 girls in my class.
Most of the boys had the same first name as another
boy in the class!  
Jackson Barlow, David's son, is on the right.  
I also taught him!!!
2011-2012
He is now a senior at Lone Peak.
(I only had 2 more classes after Jackson)
Jackson has the distinction of being one of my
"grandstudents"  . . . the child of one
of my former students!
I had a lot of grandstudents, 
starting in the 2003-2004 school year!

I also taught David's daughter, Emily.
She is currently serving as a missionary for the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the
Texas San Antonio Spanish speaking mission.
She attended Utah State after graduating from Lone Peak.

David and his kids are GREAT!

And . . . that's all of the highlights!

But, we always can say,
"We had Wisconsin!"

No comments: