Friday, October 26, 2018

THAT WAS MY LIFE



YUP.
This was my life!
And, it got worse with every year!

I did learn a HUGE help my first year of teaching!
My first big unit ever was "Colonial America."
I had the unit due the last day before 
Christmas Break.
I kept telling the kids,
"Just turn everything in together,
and I'll check it."
HUGE MISTAKE!!!
I spent my ENTIRE Christmas Break
grading the units . . . ALL DAY,
EVERY DAY!!!

After that fiasco, I would check things as they
turned them in.
Besides saving my sanity, it helped
the kids.  
If a student had lost something, I would
have a score for them.

Besides units, there was daily work,
homework, weekly spelling and language
tests, etc.  Everything my kids did,
was recorded!!!
Even having weekly notes and
planners!
It was HARD!!!  
Kids and parents could always check
Skyward, and know where they stood!
I was extremely good at staying
on top of grading!
But, my last 4 years, I worked until
about 12:30 a.m., and was back
at it at 4:30 a.m.!

I remember how shocked I was when a
teammate only had one score in the
computer for each subject!
ONE!!!
I was trying to get science grades
from him to put in my computer.
When I saw that, I asked him how
parents and students could see all 
their work!

Parents and students always
appreciated that I had scores in
quickly, and thoroughly!

Before computers, I had to add everything
up on the calculator, and figure
the grades that way.
When I had the high school aides,
one of their assignments was to
total up the scores on each point sheet page,
and put the total on the last column.
Then, I had to figure out the 
percentage and grade.

My last few years of teaching,
I did have my classroom aide check
the weekly spelling and language tests.
I also had "weekly notes" each
week.  EVERY SINGLE WEEK for 33 years!!!
The weekly note showed parents
if they had missing assignments, and
their tests were stapled to the back.
The last test stapled on was the
spelling test.  Then, the students
turned that paper over, and wrote
their new spelling words.

The parents LOVED IT!!!
They, and their kids always knew
where they stood, and it was
very much appreciated!

The reason I did all of this, was a
result of my very first
parent-teacher conference.
7:00 a.m. on Friday, November 9,1980.
The boy had low grades.
The parents never knew when anything
was due, never saw any test scores, etc.
WHAT????
You mean, he couldn't tell or show
his parents like I did???
Well, not everyone did this!!!
So, I came up with the plan.
With the weekly note, parents had
to actually sign it!
And...that was 10 points on their
language grade!!!

Not only did the parents appreciate it,
but the kids did, too!
I always got lots of comments from
them on Facebook, or seeing them later.
They all said it was the best thing ever
to help them with their advanced schooling!

Short story long (hahaha) . . . this photo of
the plaque on the desk brought back
a TON of memories, and I do not miss
grading papers ONE LITTLE BIT!!!

No comments: