Saturday, March 1, 2014

FREEDOMS FOUNDATION AT VALLEY FORGE UTAH CHAPTER...HEROES-NATIONAL AWARDS LUNCHEON


I have been on 5 trips with the
Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge.
My entire way was paid for 2 times.
One trip my tuition was paid, and I bought my airfare.
And 2 trips I paid my airfare, and I paid my tuition with
money I had put into my Alpine Foundation account.

The trips I have been on were:
1.  Revolutionary War in the Middle Colonies
2.  Revolutionary War in the Southern Colonies
3.  Civil War East
4.  Revolutionary War in the Northern Colonies
5.  Presidential Home Tours of Virginia

I was introduced to this program by Don Ward.
I taught his son, Dr. Chris Ward.
Don was on the "Virginia Presidential Home Tour" with me when 
he asked me to be on the board of directors.
The board meets the first Wednesday of each month at 4:30
in an office at the Chase Bank in downtown Salt Lake City.
I told him I couldn't make it on time from my school.

Since retirement, I was asked again.
I figured since they had paid for 2 1/2 trips, I could give back.
Well, this board is a 
BIG DEAL!
Besides Don on the board, there is a retired general,
 3 former mission presidents, a former member of the Young Women
General Board, and a former member of the Primary General Board.
The president of the board is the head of the "Wellness Department"
at BYU.
I am helping Don with education.

On February 19, we had a "Heroes Luncheon"
at the Little America Grand Ballroom.
The place alone spoke that this is a big deal!
This is the place that President Bush and other foreign country leaders
stayed during the 2002 Winter Olympics!

I checked in all of the juniors and their guests
that were traveling to Valley Forge on March 6-9.
One of the juniors was Abby Newell.
She knew me from her days as a student at Alpine Elementary.
Her father, Lloyd Newell, is the "voice" of the
Mormon Tabernacle Choir and its 
"Music and the Spoken Word" broadcast.
He was introducing the essay winners and the "heroes."
Another reason that this was a "big deal!"

  
 Program and Invitation


 
Invitation

 My nametag




Signs welcomed everyone to the luncheon


All tables were decorated


This dessert guaranteed that this banquet 
was a big deal!

 The governor speaks to the crowd










On the board!

Look who past National Board of Directors are!!!



 Essay Winners

Lloyd Newell introduced the essay winners,
the National Award Winners, and the Heroes.

Getting ready to hand out the National Awards.
Governor Herbert is in the middle.

 National Awards...the man closest to me?
Governor Herbert!

Another winner




These are all of the scholarship winners who
will be going to Valley Forge, listening to
Don give an orientation.
Abby Newell is sitting on her dad's right.
 
 
  

No comments: