Sunday, March 23, 2014

SURVIVAL OF THE {WARD CONFERENCE} FITTEST


"SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST"

     The origin of this term was the idea that species adapt and change by natural selection with the best suited mutations becoming dominant. It is associated the Charles Darwin's "Theory of Evolution."  Today, the term is associated with those that work the hardest...survive, and come out on top.
     I have survived my first "Ward/Branch Conference Season!"  President Kane, our Stake President, asked that we attend every ward/branch conference.  Our Presidency was to teach about Relief Society in each ward.  Since the handbook specifically states that the secretary does not teach, I thought I was home free!  But then, Sister Blackhurst, Stake Relief Society President, had a way to get around it!  She would have me teach at the Stonehenge rehab center, and Bel Aire...an assisted living center.  She said they wouldn't know I was the secretary.
     We were to go to every ward and branch in the stake and attend the entire block of meetings.  Some days, this was two blocks, a total of six hours of church!  That's longer than a day of General Conference!  By assignment from President Kane, we also had to meet with each presidency to discuss the strengths, concerns, goals, and how the stake RS presidency could help. 
     The stake president's talk was about the Sacrament, the Sunday School Presidency taught the sisters about the Priesthood, and the Relief Society Presidency taught about the Relief Society and how it is our privilege to belong.
     By the end, I could have delivered any of the messages!  We would have the Sacrament after the stake president's talk.  The funny thing about this was the ward members didn't know this would happen.  In one of the Harbor wards, two brothers came in during opening song.  The were going to take the sacrament, then leave to watch the NFL playoffs.  The asked me how had the missed the sacrament?
     It seems so long ago since January 12, when I went to Stonehenge.  The first person I saw when I walked in was Geraldine Bangerter.  She is the mother of Julie Beck, the 15th General Relief Society President!  Sister Bangerter was recovering from hip surgery.  A little scary to teach with her there!  I knew Julie because her kids went to Alpine Elementary!  We had a nice 30 minute chat after.  My lesson at the two Care Centers is also my "High Council Talk."
     I made 10/12 of the conferences.  I missed my own on March 9 (traveling home from St. George) and today's (Bel Aire), since I would have had to leave early to speak in another ward, I just went to my speaking assignment.
     The last time I was in my own ward was January 5!  I went to Allyson and Brooklyn's blessing on the February Fast Sunday, and Ethan Reese's blessing in March.  I get to go to my own ward next week!  Then it's General Conference, and the next week I'm going to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Broadcast as part of our ADK Conference.  Then, I should be able to go...until we start visiting the Relief Societies again.

 This is my lesson/high council talk on the
"History of Relief Society."
The little Relief Society Magazines I have, I used with
part of the history.
 Speaker in the 11th Ward

 These magazines were delivered monthly.
It had lessons, poetry, sewing patterns, photos of
Relief Societies around the world!
I found these that belonged to my
Grandma Mitchell when I was packing up the house.

 It is soooo funny that something addressed to
Mrs. Hilda Mitchell
American Fork
Utah
would get delivered!
Next up?
Women's Conference and Stake Leadership


And . . . on a fun note . . .
Lori's dad was made Stake President
of the YSA stake where he is currently
serving as bishop!
Good luck, Papa Davey!
(Gotta love McKay being incognito!)
 

No comments: