Tuesday, August 22, 2017

BACK TO SCHOOL Q & A


I saw this cute "Back to School Q & A" and thought it would be fun to share memories

of my school years and teaching years!

1) Did you love school or hate it?
 
LOVED it! I used to play the board game, "Go to the Head of the Class!"  I also had a little chalkboard at the shop (Dad's business) that I would show my imaginary class about adding and subtracting fractions!  My favorite grade was 5th grade!  I especially loved US History!  

2) Start school before or after Labor Day? 
Before. Always the last week of August. As I became a teacher, it was the same time, then was earlier.  

3) Wake up: early or late? 
Early.  From grades 1-3, we had to go to Aunt Nina and Uncle Cecil's house (Nina was my Grandma Howard's cousin.  Cecil was my Grandpa Mitchell's cousin...and my principal!)  My mom taught in Sandy, so we were up and going EARLY!!!  (Back then, the "Point of the Mountain" had two lanes up and two lanes down.  No division between.)

4) Favorite breakfast? 
I loved scrambled eggs.  When teaching, I liked to put cheese on toast and let it hit the microwave.  In the fall, fresh tomatoes on top.

5) Favorite cereal?
 Cap'n Crunch as a kid.  Raisin Bran as a teacher.

6) School uniform or no uniform?  
Never heard of them!  Charter schools didn't exist, and Utah probably had 2 or 4 private schools in the entire state!  I had to wear a dress to school every day until 8th grade. (wore shorts underneath so we could play on the "tricky bars") Then, we could wear pants.  But, they had to be a part of a "pantsuit", which meant matching jacket.  Those were too expensive! In 9th grade, dress pants and a blouse.  In 10th grade, we could wear jeans! At Dixie College, it was the same.  Shorts were unheard of!!! My junior and senior years at BYU, you could not wear jeans.  

Years 1-8 of teaching, the kids could change into shorts at lunch recess for our "field day." In my 9th year, kids could wear shorts in August, September, and May only.  Year 10+, shorts any day.  Shoes were closed toe, and shirts with tails had to be tucked in. 

7) New outfit for first day or no? 
Yes!  In American Fork, you shopped at JC Penney's, Christensen's and Chipman's.  For "Back to School", my mom took me to Salt Lake!  What a treat!!!  My Aunt Virginia and Grandma Mitchell made all of my junior high dresses.  The University Mall opened when I was in 9th grade.

8) Walk to school or ride the bus? 
Kindergarten:  I rode to school with my mom, who taught 2nd grade at my school in St. George.
1st-2nd:  Rode the bus to and from Uncle Cecil and Aunt Nina's.  3rd:  When Shelley opened, we were too close to ride the bus. Walked to and from Aunt Nina and Uncle Cecil's house.  Aunt Nina took us in bad weather. 
4th-6th:  Walked to and from dad's shop. 
7th-9th:  Dad took me, Reid, and Kenny DeMarco to junior high from the shop (he helped me with math before), I walked to shop after or walked home. Sometimes I rode with Shelly and Jackie's dad (they lived 2 houses north of shop).  
10th:  Rode the bus to and from high school. 
11th-12th:  Mom drove me to school at 7:00 a.m.  I hung around in the high school until my 7:30 a.m. band class started.  Rode the bus home.
Dixie:  Lived on campus...walked. 
BYU: Junior. . . lived at bottom of stairs, walked. Senior:  moved home.  Mom & Sydney drove me to student teaching. Carpooled with Karalee Brady summers.  
Teaching:  Carpooled my first 2 years with Ann Searle, Dave Dimond, and Tony Bodell. Carpooled 15 more year with Ann, then drove myself.

9) Backpack, tote, or messenger bag? 
What???  We just carried our books!!!  In our arms!!!  First year at BYU, they finally had backpacks for books! Always had a teaching bag and a binder for keeping track of scores and grades. About my last 7-8 years, I had the binder, but it zipped closed, and had a shoulder strap!!!

10) Eat school lunch or pack lunch? 
Always had school lunch!  Cost:  .25 for elementary (we had a "monthly ticket" . . . $5 for 20 days.)  .30 in Jr High .40 High School.  I usually ordered a salad or ate hot lunch when teaching.  I didn't like to pack.  Favorite school lunch at Alpine: baked potato bar, Hawaiian Haystack

11) Remember the little milk cartons? White or chocolate? 
White!  Chocolate did not exist in the schools until about 1990.  At first, we had chocolate milk once a month.  Even the home lunch kids brought their .10 to buy the chocolate milk!  (Chocolate milk was made by putting NestlĂ© Quik powder in white milk.)

12) Paper bag or lunch box?
 I did pack a lunch a couple of years while teaching!  I had a Mickey Mouse lunch box.  Paper bag in younger grades.  

13) Favorite thing to do at recess? 
Whatever Renae and Carol were doing.

14) Favorite back to school supply item? 
Crayons.  In elementary, we didn't ever have to buy supplies!  They were provided . . . as they should be!  Secondary, we bought notebooks and pencils.

15) Chalkboard or dry erase board? 
Chalkboard . . . green, black, brown.  Dry erase came about my last 10 years of teaching.

16) Regular pencil or mechanical? 
Regular.  Mechanical weren't invented.  When they were, I HATED THEM.  Lead always broke.  Students that used them were always looking to borrow lead from others the last couple of months of school.  I usually write with a pen.

17) Homework right after school or after dinner?
Both.  I had 2 days a week where I had dancing and piano lessons after school.  So, after dinner, or in the morning the days I went to the shop.  Checking papers at all times.

18) Favorite after school snack? 
Toast.

19) Favorite after school show?  
TV was the best when I was growing up! They had cartoons after school (Captain Scotty after school, Fireman Frank in the morning. They talked to kids from Salt Lake, then hosted the cartoons) I liked the Brady Bunch, and the variety shows.

20) Favorite subject in school? 
Elementary:  Reading 
Secondary:  US History 
Dixie:  Program Bureau and Forensics  
BYU:  Social Studies for Elementary Teachers
Teaching Alpine Elementary:  US History.  

21) Least favorite school subject? 
Art.  I liked it, but wasn't very good at it.  That's why I had my students do my bulletin boards.

22) Name of your best friend in high school? 
Renae Allen Reese.  1st grade - now

23) Mascot? 
Nothing until high school.  
American Fork:  Caveman  
Dixie:  Rebels 
BYU: Cougars  
Alpine Elementary:  Eagles

24) SAT or ACT? 
ACT

25) Favorite years in school? 
Elementary:  5th
Jr. High:  9th
High School:  12th
College:  Sophomore

26) Class ring or no class ring? 
Ring.  My mom purchased it at Reed's Jewelry.  Also, since I graduated in the "Bicentennial," (200 years since 1776, Declaration of Independence) we had a Liberty Bell on our tassel, and a Minuteman on our graduation announcements.  

27) Attend or not attend high school reunions? 
Yes.  
5:  Aspen Grove, Provo Canyon
10:  Excelsior Hotel, Provo  
15:  Alpine Country Club, Highland
20:  Didn't attend
25 & 30:  Alpine Country Club, Highland
35:  no reunion  
40:  AFHS, American Fork

28)  Favorite teachers? 
Elementary:  Duane Durrant, 4th  Wanda Peterson, 3rd
Junior High: Loree Brown, Spanish  Clark Brown, Utah History (no relation)
High School:  Stan Reid, Spanish & US History  Jay Allen (Renae's brother) Biology
Dixie:  Edna Gregerson, English (she lived 2 houses from us when I lived in St. George), Roene DiFiore, Program Bureau, Mike Woodward & Don Hinton, Debate & Forensics, 
Pat Roper, P.E.
BYU:  Marie Tuttle, Language Arts for Elementary teachers
And . . . favorite principal at Alpine Elementary:  David Stephenson  (8 years at Alpine)

29)  Favorite Field Trip?  
Elementary: 5th grade to Granite Flats. 
We did a lot of studying and ecology projects.  We stayed until 6:00 p.m.!  Had weinie roast. Junior High:  It wasn't a class, but Reid & I went on a  field trip with mom's 1st graders.  We rode AmTrak from Salt Lake to Provo. Dad picked us up in Provo. 
High School:  Band trips:  Reno, Lake Tahoe, Seattle, Spokane (World's Fair), Fiesta Bowl football game  Also, I went to Acapulco, Taxco, and Mexico City with Renae and our Spanish teacher.
Dixie:  debate trips . . . Colorado, Arizona, California, Wyoming  BYU:  
BYU:  In my PE class, we helped the kids at Westmore do a halftime show at a BYU basketball game.  The team had Fred Roberts, Greg Kite, and Danny Ainge on it.  They went to the "Elite 8" at the NCAA tournament.  All three ended up at together on the Celtics.
Teaching:  Clear Creek, hiking to the North Mountain
District history class:  Boston, Lexington, Concord, Plimoth Plantation, Teacher Institute at Colonial Williamsburg

Coincidentally, I went on a elementary field trip and also while I was teaching to the Bingham Open Copper Pit.  I also went in junior high and while I was teaching to Clear Creek.

30)  If I could have changed anything about my schooling? 
I wish Dixie had been a 4 year school when I went instead of a junior college. I did not like BYU, except spring and summer quarters.  I went to BYU because my mom had had student teachers from all colleges and said BYU had the best education department, which they did.

Here are the schools I attended.
The info about the schools from 
grades 1-12 came from the book,
Shaping Communities & Building Futures.
100 Years of Educating Students in
Alpine School District
1915-2015

"Nursery School"
Dixie Jr. College
President, Arthur F. Bruhn
(my neighbor across the street)
1962-1963
St. George, Utah

I attended "Nursery School" here.  The Nursery School was in the
Child Development class as part of Dixie Jr. College.
Dona Parkinson was the teacher. 
She was still there when I went to college.
She had me deliver my persuasive speech to her
classes about child abuse.
The classroom was across the hall from my dad's classroom.

Kindergarten
West Elementary
Principal, Victor Frei
1963-1964
St. George, Utah

1st-2nd Grades

Harrington
Principal, Cecil Hansen (Uncle Cecil)
1964-1966
American Fork, Utah

3rd-6th Grades



Shelley Elementary
Principal, Cecil Hansen (Uncle Cecil)
1966-1969
American Fork, Utah

The top picture is from the cover of
my 3rd grade yearbook.  That was the year
the school opened . . . 1966.
The bottom picture is of the remodel,  2009.

The school was named after 
George F. Shelley.
He donated the property.
His granddaughter is my BFF, Renae Allen Reese.
His great granddaughter is my good friend,
Lynnell Shelley Fox.

7th-9th Grades


American Fork Jr. High
Principal, Doug Nicholes (in my ward)
1969-1973
American Fork, Utah
The school was built in 1912.
My grandpa, dad, and his siblings went
to high school here.
The American Fork Rec Center is located at this site.
The southwest stairs are original.

10th-12th Grades
This was how the front door looked
when I attended.



American Fork High School
Principal, Con Brady
1973-1976
American Fork, Utah

College
Freshman-Sophomore



Dixie Jr. College
President, Rolfe Kerr
1976-1978
St. George, Utah
Degree:  Associate of Arts

I always wanted to "go back" to Dixie!
I spent a lot of time looking through my
dad's yearbooks from when he taught there, 1957-1964.
(Elder Holland took several classes from him!)
The top 2 pictures are the "Dixie sign" from when
I was there, and now.
My favorite place on campus was the amphitheater
and the fountain.
My favorite building was the Fine Arts Building.
It is made of mosaic tiles.
The "Liberal Arts" building (LA)
was where I had the most classes:
English, Spanish, Debate & Forensics, US History


College
Junior-Senior

Brigham Young University
President, Dallin Oaks
1978-1980
Provo, Utah
Degree:  Bachelor of Science

Since BYU was so big, I focused
on the building I spent most of my time in.
David O. McKay school of education.
The top picture is 
President David O. McKay, president of the
LDS Church until halfway through my 5th grade year.
It was named after him, because he was a teacher.
(And, you young kiddos . . . we watched his funeral 
AT school!  We also watched the World Series as
we worked.  All games then were in the daytime.
Not unusual!)

Teaching




Alpine Elementary
1980-2013
Principals:  Brian Page, Roger Olsen, Paul Rasband,
Claudia Wasden, Karl Bowman, 
David Stephenson, Cami Larsen
Alpine, Utah
Top pictures are the second Alpine Elementary,
built in 1899.
The first was built in 1851.
The bottom one is the current Alpine Elementary,
built in 1964.
The west end . . . from west door to double doors,
was built in 1964.  
From the double doors to the end
of the 4th & 5th grade halls, including the library,
was built in 1976.
(My teammates, Roger & Calvan, talked about the
"pickle barrels" that were brought in while
they were building the new section.
They were round, and looked like a pickle barrel.)
The "satellite" 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and resource was
brought in in 1983.
It was removed, and the new section,
2nd, 3rd, resource, computer
was added in 2003.
The satellite was taken to
Forbes, where all of the children were
in it while the school building was torn
down and rebuilt. 





No comments: