Friday, August 18, 2017

NOT MISSING THESE . . .



The start of a school year was a 
"double edged sword!"

From 1980 to about 2005, it was great!!!
The best part, was getting back together again
with my "faculty family."

We would have fun games, treats,
helpful hints, etc.
And, no matter how hard I prepared, I
still always had to get my room ready,
papers run off, books out, etc.
Thanks to my nieces and nephews and
the Bagley kids, a lot was accomplished.

From about 2005 on . . . it was just HARD!
I think it all started with
"No Child Left Behind."
The emphasis of the meetings were just
on test scores.
Forget the child.

Also, the very worst part was returning,
when some didn't.
Either for retiring or transferring.
First, it was Roger.  Then, Paul.
And then . . . Ann and Calvan.

The year 2000 was the worst!!!
That was when we lost a TON of teachers
to downsizing . . . because of Westfield.
Jack, John, Jody, Lori, Jill, etc.

Each Back to School meeting,
someone was missing, and it wasn't the same!
Cathy, Carolyn, Cheryl, Loretta, Adonna.
My heart hurt soooo bad!

This upcoming school year was to be my last.
Year #38.  
Same as my mom.
The reason was it was the year I would
turn 59.  After retiring then, I would have
my 6 years of health insurance, and only
have to pay 2 months worth of insurance
at a cost of about $1200.

Instead, I was diagnosed with Charcot Foot,
and encouraged to retire.
I now have 2 years left of health insurance.
Then, I have to pay approximately
$600 a month for 4 years.
$28,800!  
That's $27,600 more than
my original plan!!!

But, those of us lucky enough to
be hired before 1990, we received almost
a 3% stipend (x 33 years)!
I also have a 401k savings with
about $80,000.  I will close out that account
next April or May, when I'm 59 1/2.
Pay off my credit card, plan and pay for
my funeral (since I have no descendants),
buy a new car, and pay for health insurance.

I have been soooo blessed to be retired, and
a "stay at home aunt!"
Busy doesn't even begin to describe it!!!
Although there has been no more teaching,
checking papers, recording scores in the computer,
and being an ordinance worker at the temple
(had to be released after 16 years . . . foot dr. orders),
my life totally changed!

Getting to go to programs and dance festivals
of the great nieces and nephews,
swimming later in the morning,
going to temples (and more road trips) during
the day, going on 3 road trips to St. George . . . and
not have to create lesson plans, 
cooking more, lower blood pressure, tutoring Jaycie,
leaving earlier for Jazz games,
and the best . . . lunch once a month with the
retired Alpine Elementary friends!

I also spent the first 4 years as Stake Relief
Society Secretary . . . which was crazy busy!
(I now have no church calling  first time in
over 40 years!. . . besides visiting teaching 1 sister. My
ward has over 300 sisters, and YW & Primary
are tiny!) 
I'm finishing up my last 7 months of being
the president of Utah Alpha Delta Kappa
(sorority for outstanding women educators,
that I've been a member of for 21 years)
and I'm still on the board of directors for
the Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge.
This involves monthly meetings,
visiting schools, reading essays, interviewing
juniors in high school for the leadership
conference at Valley Forge.
Also, a golf tournament and bbq.

I spent the majority of last year helping
my mom.  Tons of dr appointments, her
surgery, rehab, and post surgery.
Ashley's brain surgery, Camille & Heidi's pregnancies,
helping with the twinners when Heidi
was on call.
There's NO WAY I could have done that
while teaching!  I would have had to make
TONS of lesson plans and subs would have had
to be prepared for!  I couldn't have passed this off to
others, cuz of all the family complications.

So . . . another school year is approaching.
Year #5 of retirement.
And yes, I was retired at age 54!!!
I don't think much about school anymore.
Just a little bit on the first day,
Clear Creek, Hope of America (no kiddos in it
this year), just the really fun things.
I rarely go to the school.
Just to judge the Science Fair and shop at
the book fair.  
I also took Katie to teach a lesson to
Nancy's class (part of her nursing degree),
take the retirement invitations up, and to
deliver invites to the 5th grade team to
our Freedoms Foundation lunch in February
with the governor.
That's it!

This year, my goals are to go swimming more,
catch up on my blog, read more books
(I've done well this summer), more organizing,
and as always, lose weight.

CHEERS TO ANOTHER YEAR
OF RETIREMENT!




No comments: