Tuesday, February 17, 2015

HUZZAH FOR RETIREMENT!


Whenever I talk to my friends who are still teaching,
they tell me how hard it is now!  
It's not about educating the child, it's about getting
the child ready for the SAGE end of year test.

Most students are just getting taught
Language Arts, Math, and Science.
Because that is what's tested.
The biggest fall through the cracks is in 
Social Studies . . . because it's not tested.
When teachers don't have time, Social Studies is
not worried about . . . because it's not tested.

The push to be on DRA level 6 in kindergarten is perplexing.
Kindergarten is now what 2nd grade used to be.
That's why I pay to for my great nieces and nephews preschool
through the district, because they have a state curriculum.
It gets them ready at age 4 for that testing.

After interviewing the high school juniors for the
scholarships to Valley Forge, there is hope for a bright future.
But, these kids haven't been raised to take a test
their entire schooling.


In 33 years of teaching, not a single student has said to me,
"Thanks for helping to prepare me to take tests!  It's the
best thing I ever did in 5th grade!"
Nope.
I would hear, "Thanks for teaching me to be organized."
"Thanks for teaching me how to study for tests."
"Thanks for teaching me to love our country."
"Thanks for teaching me to love reading."
It's also remembering the great things we did.
Pom pom pillows, sand bottles, Clear Creek,
North Mountain hike, clogging, ukuleles, Government Days, Christmas Village, etc.

And, so many comment about what they learned about
US history!
(I even had a boy stop to see me on the way to prison.
He said everything was just like I said, and that 
he should have listened.  RIP, Aaron.)
The best compliment about my teaching
is the fact that I have at least a dozen former
students who are teaching US History!
I also have a student who works in the White House
for the Office of Management and Budget.
Another is a liason between the White House and Utah.

They ALL have said their career choices were made
because of the love they received in my class
for US History, the Government, and the Constitution.


HUZZAH!!!



No comments: